The Clark Art Institute seeks an energetic and enthusiastic customer service professional to lead our Visitor Services team. The Visitor Services Coordinator is the lead ambassador for the Clark’s programs to welcome and engage visitors and members. The full-time position manages the operations of three admissions desks on the Clark’s 140-acre campus and oversees all activities related to these points of entry, including admissions sales, on-site membership sales, visitor reception, and coordination of a large corps of volunteers who supplement the paid Visitor Services team. The Visitor Services Coordinator will be a part of the Institute’s diverse staff of more than 80 professionals.
1. Oversees and manages all activities including admissions, on-site membership sales, and reception staff, and volunteer personnel for the Information Desks. (The current program includes two full-time, year-round paid associates, paid year-round part-time associates, approximately forty year-round volunteers, and a paid crew of upwards to thirty-five seasonal hires.)
2. Coordinates, oversees, and implements all phases of the Information Desk volunteer, admissions, and crew programs including their recruitment, training, supervision, and evaluation. Collaborates with all Clark departments to ensure delivery of a positive and memorable visitor experience.
3. Provides appropriate staffing consistent with daily operations and with the specific needs for special events, after–hours activities, and private/corporate events held at the Clark.
4. Designs and develops visitor service systems and programs in support of marketing/public relations, membership, special events, RAP, library, education, and curatorial departments in the coordination of their initiatives and activities. Maintains and regularly updates various reports tracking attendance, visitor experience, and admissions.
5. Identifies need for, develops, proposes, and initiates systems and policies for admissions and events sales, parking, visitor experience, and operations of the Information Desk, including multimedia guide systems.
6. Develops and administers the Visitor Services budget including full- and part-time salaries.
7. Works to promote group bookings for bus and tour groups (working in cooperation with Marketing and Communications Department) and coordinates their scheduling with the Education Department with goal of increasing group bookings to generate additional admissions revenue.
8. Prepares, maintains, and updates all materials and information available for the Information Desk, admission staff, and seasonal crew to ensure that all are familiar with current events, plans, and activities and are providing consistent and accurate information to visitors.
9. Develops and implements ongoing training for the year-round Visitor Services associates, seasonal crew, and information desk volunteers to serve the Institute’s needs and to advance its brand and mission, using best customer services practices and embodying the Clark’s policies and philosophies for excellent visitor engagement. Clearly articulates related security policies and procedures to ensure that Visitor Services team understands and implements such requirements.
10. Coordinates Visitor Services activities with other departments and administration to establish effective admission procedures, including security, finance, marketing, curatorial, retail, and information technology requirements.
11. Serves as the resource/principal staff resource available to Institute’s departments requesting admissions and all visitor related information.
12. Provides timely and professional assistance to public in responding to all types of inquiries regarding the Clark’s activities, relying on input and assistance—as needed—from other departments.
13. Acts as liaison to community groups in responding to requests for Clark contributions, donations, etc. and fulfill according to Institute policies and/or direction from management.
14. Must have a valid driver’s license and be capable of operating a golf cart when needed.
Performs other duties as assigned by supervisor.
The perfect candidate for this position has an engaging and outgoing approach to all aspects of their work. S/he understands and passionately promotes the Clark’s commitment to excellence in customer service and will lead his/her team in delivering a memorable experience for every visitor. Must be flexible and adept at multi-tasking, recognizing that every day presents unique opportunities to delight our visitors as well as interesting and complex challenges which must be resolved quickly and professionally. The candidate genuinely enjoys meeting and welcoming visitors, scholars, students, and associates on a daily basis and takes pride in serving as one of the Clark’s key ambassadors.
Interest in and appreciation for art and/or art history is strongly preferable
Must have a valid driver’s license and be able to drive a golf cart when needed
Must be available for regular weekend and/or evening work, particularly during the busy summer season
Must have experience in using Microsoft Office Suite software, including Powerpoint
Must have previous customer service and/or sales experience
Knowledge of Outbound, Counterpoint, and Raiser’s Edge are strongly desired, although training is available
Must have a pleasing demeanor and be comfortable in communicating with visitors in person, by phone, and by e-mail
Candidates with previous museum experience are particularly encouraged to apply
Interested applicants should submit a letter of application, resume, and the names of three references via e-mail to [email protected]
or mail to Human Resources, Clark Art Institute, 225 South Street, Williamstown, MA 01267. The Clark is an equal opportunity employer.