Clark to Open Gallery of 17th-Century European Art
For Immediate Release
June 10, 2003
Today the Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute opens a new installation of 17th-century European art. Entitled "Sacred and Profane," the gallery will feature two paintings, frequently requested by visitors, that have been off public view in recent years: Fray Julian's Vision of the Ascension of the Soul of King Philip II of Spain (1645-46) by Bartolomé Esteban Murillo, and Portrait of Konstanze von Habsburg, Archduchess of Central Austria, Later Queen of Poland (1604) by Joseph Heintz the Elder. In addition to paintings from the Clark collection and several loans from private collections, the installation will feature a gallery devoted to prints and drawings by Rembrandt and Rubens from the Clark collection and from the estate of the late Julius S. Held.
"Sacred and Profane: 17th-Century European Art" will occupy the galleries vacated by the Clark's recent special exhibition Renoir and Algeria, which has moved on to the Dallas Museum of Art. The paintings and works on paper will remain on view through October.
The nine Rembrandt works on view include the drawing Farm Under Trees (c. 1650) and the etchings The Three Trees (1647) and Portrait of Ephraim Bonus (1647) from the Clark collection, as well as The Goldsmith (1655) and Virgin and Child in the Clouds (1641) from the Held estate. Also on view will be the drawings Portrait of Thomas Howard, Earl of Arundel (c. 1629-30) and Hercules Strangling the Nemean Lion (c. 1620) by Peter Paul Rubens.
The paintings on view range from religious paintings, mythological and classical subjects, portraits, landscapes, and scenes of daily life. Among the highlights are Christ and the Woman of Samaria by Sebastien Bourdon and Market Scene with Two Figures by Bernardo Strozzi, both on loan from private collections. Other artists represented include Rubens, Claude Lorrain, Jacob van Ruisdael, and Adam Pynacker.
The Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute is located at 225 South Street in Williamstown, Massachusetts. The galleries are open Tuesday through Sunday, 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Gallery admission is free through May 31. For more information call 413-458-2303 or visit www.clarkart.edu.