E-mail This Page

Five Goya Prints Given to the Clark by Edwin and Lola Jaffe

For Immediate Release

November 10, 2003

Edwin and Lola Jaffe of Stockbridge have donated five prints by Spanish artist Francisco José de Goya y Lucientes (1746-1828) to the Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute. The etchings are plates from the first edition of Goya's Los Caprichos. The gift is a significant addition to extensive print collection of the Clark, a resource for students, scholars, and the general public.

"We have two paintings, two etchings, and a drawing by Goya in the collection, and now thanks to the famous generosity of Ed and Lola Jaffe, who have done so much for Berkshire cultural organizations, we now have a representation of Goya's achievements as a printmaker," said Clark director Michael Conforti. "We are thrilled that the Jaffe's chose to give these treasured works to the Clark. It is through the generosity of donors like the Jaffes that our collection continues to grow beyond the great legacy of our founders."

The five prints in the Jaffe gift are Tale-bearers-Blasts of Wind (Soplones); He who hears nothing, knows nothing, and does nothing (Los Chinchillas); They spruce themselves up (Se repulen); To sue and to fall (Subir y Bahar); and Blow (Sopla). All are etchings with aquatint from the landmark 1799 series that established Goya as one of the great painter-engravers in art history. The celebrated series depicts satirical scenes of corruption in Spain during the Spanish Inquisition, and was suppressed by the Spanish monarchy after fewer than 30 sets had been sold.

"These five plates were chosen by the Jaffes for their macabre subject matter and the brilliance of their impressions," said James A. Ganz, curator of prints, drawings, and photographs. "They are remarkable additions to our collection."

The prints and drawings collection at the Clark began with the collection of founders Sterling and Francine Clark, whose taste in works on paper encompassed the Renaissance and the 20th-century as well as 18th- and 19th-century French art. Since the opening of the Institute in 1955, the collection has doubled in size to more than 3800 prints and 730 drawings. The Clark owns a nearly complete representation of the prints of Albrecht Dürer and extensive holdings of prints and drawings Winslow Homer. Other highlights include prints and drawings by Rembrandt, Rubens, Degas, Toulouse-Lautrec, and Picasso. The collection has served as a vital resource for the teaching of students in the Clark Art Institute/Williams College Graduate Program in the History of Art. Works on paper, including the new acquisitions, are available for public viewing in the print study room, by appointment.

The Clark

The Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute is one of the country's foremost art museums and also a dynamic center for research and higher education in art history and criticism. The Clark's exceptional collections of Old Master, Impressionist, and 19th-century American art on display in the museum's intimate galleries are enhanced by its dramatic 140-acre setting in the Berkshires.

The Institute is one of only a few art museums in the U.S. that is also a major research and academic center, with an international fellowship program and regular conferences, symposia, and colloquia, and an important art research library. The Clark, together with Williams College, jointly sponsors one of the nation's leading M.A. programs in art history and encompasses one of the most comprehensive art history libraries in the world. Its Fellows and conference programs draw university and museum professionals from around the world.

The Clark Art Institute is located at 225 South Street in Williamstown, Massachusetts. For more information, call 413-458-2303 or visit www.clarkart.edu.

Return to the previous page