Memories and Regrets
Oil on canvas
24 1/8 x 18 3/16 in. (61.3 x 46.2 cm)
Signed lower left: AStevens. [AS in monogram]
Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute, 1955.860
- William H. Stewart (until 1898; his sale, American Art Association, Feb. 3-4, 1898, no. 93, as Remembrance and Regrets);
- Gabriel de Yturri (by 1900);
- Comte Robert de Montesquiou-Fezensac, Paris (by 1907-d. 1921);
- Possibly Ochsé, Paris;
- [Galerie Brame, Paris, until 1933];
- [Durand-Ruel, New York, on deposit May 8, 1933; sold to Clark, May 22, 1933];1
- Robert Sterling Clark (1933-1955);
- Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute, 1955.
- According to the Durand-Ruel archives, their New York branch bought this painting from Galerie Brame on June 1, 1933, later, that is, than the date Durand-Ruel New York sold it to Clark. The painting was, however, deposited with the New York branch by the Paris branch on May 8, possibly on behalf of Galerie Brame, though the records are unclear on this point.