Oil on canvas
16 1/4 x 13 3/16 in. (41.3 x 33.5 cm)
Signed upper left: Renoir.
Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute, 1955.611
- Collection of the artist (d. 1919);
- Pierre Renoir, the artist's son, Paris (1919-1935; consigned to Durand-Ruel, Paris);1
- [Durand-Ruel, Paris, 1935-36; transferred to New York];
- [Durand-Ruel, New York, 1936-37; sold to Clark, Apr. 10, 1937];
- Robert Sterling Clark (1937-1955);
- Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute, 1955.
- Information in the file, "from Mr. May, Institute, Aug. 1959," gives the provenance as "Charles Farrel, Paris (until 1914; sold to May); George May (1914-1926; sold to Durand-Ruel)." This cannot be verified, and, given the evidence that it was in Renoir's atelier and owned by Pierre Renoir in 1935, must be incorrect.