Chinese Street Festival Family Day
Sunday, June 24, 2012
In celebration of the Unearthed exhibition, from 11 am to 4 pm the Clark campus transforms into a traditional Chinese street festival, complete with booths featuring fun activities for the whole family. Have your future told by an oracle and learn to write your name in Chinese characters. Watch—or join in!—a dragon parade and meet a real water buffalo. The afternoon's entertainment also includes shadow puppets, storytelling—and much more. Delicious Chinese street food and traditional carnival food will be available for purchase.
This event is generously supported by funding from the officers and employees of Allen & Company, Inc.
Scheduled Events & Activities:
- 11:30 am & 2:45 pm - Chinese folk dances by Chinese Community Center of Albany
- Noon & 1:45 pm - Dragon dance parade - line the “street” to watch!
- 12:15 pm & 2 pm - Face-changing magic show
- 1 pm & 3:30 pm - Peking opera - Monkey King Runs Amok in the Heavens
- Tai Chi workshop and crafts
- Storyteller - favorite Chinese folk tales performed by Motoko
- Membership tent - Pick up a family activity guide for the exhibition, then once you’ve seen the show, bring the activity guide to this tent to receive a special surprise!
- Continuous slide show of modern China
- Art making - mingqi sculpture
- Art making - Chinese zodiac necklaces and key rings
- Art making - animal cut-outs
- Scroll painting with artist Claire Fox
- The art of Chinese paper cutting - silhouettes - $1.00
- Build-a-panda - $5.00
- Have your name written in Chinese characters
- Climb the “Great Wall of China”
- Traditional Chinese shadow puppet free-play and information
- Meet a real-live water buffalo!
- Chopstick lessons
- I Ching readings - $1.00
- Peking opera face painting - $1.00
- Tattoos with Chinese symbols - $1.00
- The healing art of Qi Gong
- Hand massage by In Touch Massage and Day Spa - $1.00
- Nejaime’s VIP Travel display on modern China
- Where’d You Get That?! ($)
- Bookseller ($)
Food & Treats:
- Stir fry ($)
- Spring rolls, french fries, and roasted yams ($)
- Rice balls and dumplings ($)
- Hamburgers, hotdogs, and BBQ ($)
- Pizzas and salads by Hot Tomatoes Pizza ($)
- Cotton candy - $1.00
- Ice cream ($)