The Permanent Collection

The Clark’s permanent collection of painting, sculpture, and decorative art from the Renaissance to the early twentieth century is housed in the Museum Building. The Institute’s greatest strengths lie in nineteenth-century European and American painting, especially French Impressionists. Although the collections have expanded greatly since the opening of the Clark in 1955, their scope and character continue to represent the taste and interests of Sterling and Francine Clark.

Works on Paper and British Art

The Manton Research Center, home to the new Manton Study Center for Works on Paper, includes gallery space for regular exhibitions of prints, drawings, and photography spanning the history of the graphic arts from the fifteenth century through the first quarter of the twentieth century. It also houses gallery space featuring works from the Manton Collection of British Art. 

Special Exhibitions

The Lunder Center at Stone Hill, situated on a wooded hillside just south of the center of campus with incredible views of Stone Hill, houses two galleries in which the Clark presents special exhibitions. These exhibitions include installations of works from the Clark’s permanent collection as well as works on loan from various institutions and artists.