Clark Center

The new 42,600-square-foot Clark Center, designed by Pritzker Prize–winning architect Tadao Ando, includes more than 11,000 square feet of gallery space for special exhibitions; a multipurpose pavilion for conferences, lectures, and events; new dining, retail, and family spaces; and an all-glass Museum Pavilion that creates a new entrance to the original Museum Building.

Museum Building

The Museum Building opened on May 17, 1955 after about a three year-construction period. There were only two galleries on view, and the majority of the works were not displayed. The Clark slowly unveiled its treasures during several exhibitions in the coming years.

The reconceived Museum Building is the culmination of a ten-year expansion program at the Clark. The expansion and renovation plans for the Museum Building were designed by Selldorf Architects. Improvements include the addition of more than 2,200 square feet of new gallery space for a total of 17,700 square feet (43,770 square feet overall); a thoughtful renovation of the existing galleries; installation of new lighting and environmental controls; and
creation of a new west-to-east orientation.

Manton Research Center

The 107,460-square-foot Manton Research Center, the Clark's red granite administrative building, was completed in 1973 and included spaces for an expanded library, the new graduate program, and additional galleries. As part of the Clark's expansion program, Selldorf Architects designed the renovations to public areas in the building, which include the new Manton Study Center for Works on Paper, with its adjacent gallery; additional gallery space featuring the Manton Collection of British Art; a new public reading room; and a bookstore and coffee bar. The Manton Research Center will open spaces on a rolling basis in the fall of 2014, with completion slated to coincide with the Clark's sixtieth anniversary in spring 2015.

Lunder Center at Stone Hill

The 32,000-square-foot Lunder Center at Stone Hill, designed by Tadao Ando and opened in 2008, houses two gallery spaces totaling 2,790 square feet in which the Clark presents smaller special exhibitions highlighting its collection as well as works representing periods and cultures not currently shown at the Clark. A seasonal terrace cafĂ©, the Hunter Studio art classroom space, and the Williamstown Art Conservation Center—the largest regional conservation center in the country—are also located at Lunder Center at Stone Hill.

Landscape

The Clark's 140-acre campus encompasses a landscape of expansive lawns, meadows, and walking trails. A sweeping redesign of the Clark’s 140-acre grounds by landscape architecture firm Reed Hilderbrand includes creation of a three-tiered reflecting pool; upgrades to and expansion of walking trails; green roof systems; planting of 350 new trees (some 1000 new trees planted overall); and creation of a new entry drive and landscaped parking areas with water-permeable surfaces that feed into a rainwater and snowmelt collection system.

ABOUT THE ARCHITECTURE

Combining the talents of noted architects, the Clark’s reimagined campus unites a new Clark Center designed by Tadao Ando Architects (Osaka, Japan) with an expanded Museum Building and the renovated Manton Research Center, both designed by Selldorf Architects (New York). These buildings surround a new three-tiered reflecting pool, the highlight of a dramatic rethinking of the Clark’s landscape designed by Reed Hilderbrand (Cambridge, Massachusetts). Gensler (New York) was the executive architect. The project adds more than 13,000 square feet of gallery space to support the Clark’s expanded collection and exhibition programs, and establishes the Institute as a leader in best practices for sustainability and energy efficiency.

“The expansion project advances the Clark’s dual mission as both an art museum and a center for research and higher  education,” says Clark director Michael Conforti. “Since developing our master plan more than ten years ago, we have worked diligently to connect our program and support spaces with our extraordinary landscape, all with the goal of best serving the thousands of people who come from all over the world to visit the Clark each year. What now looks simple, and so logical, has been achieved through a complex and environmentally sensitive design and construction program that unites many disparate parts.”

The Clark began as a single white marble museum building designed by architect Daniel Perry; construction began in 1952 and the museum was opened to the public in 1955. In 1973 the red granite Manton Research Center, designed by Pietro Belluschi and The Architects Collaborative to house a library, graduate seminar rooms, galleries, offices, and an auditorium, was completed. In the late 1990s, a comprehensive master plan for the 140-acre campus was commissioned from Cooper, Robertson & Partners; this was completed in 2001. Also in 2001, architect Tadao Ando was invited to plan and design two complementary buildings: Lunder Center at Stone Hill, which made its debut in 2008, and the newly completed Clark Center.These additions, combined with a thoughtful remodeling by Selldorf Architects of the existing buildings as well as a long-term enhancement of the grounds by landscape architecture firm Reed Hilderbrand, enrich the Clark experience for lovers of art and nature, curators, scholars from near and far, students, and local residents alike.